Need Engineering Assistance

Need Engineering Assistance

Postby Tierce » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:22 am

So at the tailgate this past weekend, our benefactor's wife shows up with one of these (but bigger, probably 1.5 ft L x 1.5 ft W x 2 ft H) and gives it to me to use for storing and organizing shit at the tailgate. Not gonna get into all the stuff she told me I should have in it like cartons of ponchos, but I have to make use of this thing and keep bringing it back to the tailgates despite its obvious worthlessness for outdoor use. I'm trying to decide on the best way to secure the drawers on this thing so they don't slide out during transit. If I could also get the drawers to be better closed when in use so that it would be a little better resistant to the elements, that would be the most ideal.

I've considered just getting some ratchet tie down straps to just strap it up while in transit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QGD996/ref ... ABGM69C1SO

I also considered getting some kind of Velcro like this to strap across the front of the drawer to the side on the front 2 corners, but then realized I'd still have a sticky side of tape facing out
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006 ... PDKIKX0DER

Wondered about some kind of magnets, but I don't know what to look for. I don't really want to get into something complicated where I have to cut/drill holes for a fastener because this plastic is already flimsy and I don't want to weaken it more. You all are the most handy people I know, so wondering if any of you might have a better idea on this. Preferably something I can buy on Amazon.
Tierce

Re: Need Engineering Assistance

Postby Shaven » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 am

Velcro would probably do the trick. Ratchet straps are overkill and will crush that thing if you tighten them too much.
Shaven Snatchsplitter
<HAKD>
Shaven

Postby Halifax » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 am

Accidentally leave your tailgate down and floor it. It'll be a tragedy.

If that is truly not an option. I agree with clex just use velcro on either side of the drawer if there is room.
Halifax

Postby Tierce » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:46 am

yeah, I just need to find some Velcro that is only adhesive on one side...
Tierce

Postby Axeljacobs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:39 pm

What about velcro on the back of each drawer so you dont even see it? Cant tell if the drawers back up to anything. If they do just a small piece would work to keep it from sliding.
Zoid
Axeljacobs

Postby Tierce » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 pm

yeah, it's not in the back, but in the front, part of the drawer stops up against the frame. I think I am gonna try that with some of that velcro tape.
Tierce

Postby HillbilliesRule » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:08 pm

velcro...pfffttt

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KUWM3C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

superglue them on inside of drawers and to frame. to meet up + -
depending on weight and size you may want to use larger or just use more.
Necroluvin
HAKD
HillbilliesRule

Return to General Board